Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing up in rec ball?

What's on your mind?

by Backnine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Looking for some input. We (10 year old Daughter) will be finishing up rec 10u fall ball and Spring sign ups have already begun. My daughter although not very big ( approx. 80 lbs.) is by all accounts one of the best players in our so.ca. league. She played on 10 gold all-star team that went to Nationals. She is a very good catcher (has had some private instruction) who throws out would be base stealers at 2nd regularly. She can play infield and outfield. She is a good hitter that very rarely Ks. Would it be a good idea to play 12u in the Spring? Get use to the ball size to prepare way to travel? Older girls to leave friend behind?

Thanks for your input
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MrGeek » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Have you asked your daughter what she wants to do? I would probably start there. Also understand that it will not make a difference when she is 15 or 16 years old whether she played up during her second year of 10u. Girls change way too much during those 5 years for a decision like that to make or break them. If her favorite part of the game is juice boxes and snack bar tickets, she will probably have more fun staying in 10u. Regardless, she needs to be having fun. That is how you build the foundation.
MrGeek
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

That's a really tough question. It depends on the kid. Some kids really benefit from competing with older kids. It accelerates their development. Some kids don't and would be better off being one of the better kids playing with their peers. For some, playing with their friends is just more important to them. Personally I would try playing up if she's receptive to it and go back if it doesn't work out. I would make sure she goes on a team where she won't spend most of the time on the bench. Best of luck to you and her.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you for your input. This is rec ball and she would be starting catcher in all likelihood.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:28 pm

My think is this- We are probably going to play travel 12u so why not get use to the ball at rec level? I have seen 10u gold all star teams transition to 12u travel and it isn't very smooth. The girls go from top of the world to mediocre.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Don't be in too much of a rush to play travel. Let her have as much fun at the rec level as she can. I see too many players go to travel too soon, start to feel the pressure too early, then burn out too quickly. Softball, especially at 10U and really at the 12U level should be about learning to love the game. Most girls leave the sport around the 14U level, as most realize they have the gift or don't have it, and I feel is a good time to move to travel, if they still love the sport. 10U to 12U most still play because they love to play with their friends, after that, most play because they love to play the game. You can't force that transition, that is something all our DD either develop or don't. I know with DD1 I encouraged more forcefully than I ever do with DD2. Right now, enjoy watching her play and have conversations about how great softball is, because when the time comes when DD doesn't believe you are interesting at all, you will always have softball in common.
swells9232

by DDsNbr1Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Agree with what MrGeek said...Have you asked your daughter what she wants to do? I would probably start there. Also understand that it will not make a difference when she is 15 or 16 years old whether she played up during her second year of 10u.
DDsNbr1Fan
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cazzy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 am

I ask my players what their favorite memories are of softball and its unanimous. Rec ball allstars! Playing with friends and tearing up hotels.. This thing turns in to a shark tank fast. Enjoy every moment its over in a blink.
"Nothing will work unless you do." John Wooden
cazzy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Right now, enjoy watching her play and have conversations about how great softball is, because when the time comes when DD doesn't believe you are interesting at all, you will always have softball in common.

No truer words have ever been spoken!!! :D
jonriv

by PDad » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Backnine wrote:... She played on 10 gold all-star team... Would it be a good idea to play 12u in the Spring? Get use to the ball size to prepare way to travel? Older girls to leave friend behind?

She's good enough in your league to move up, so it should be her decision whether to move up with her playing-level peers or stay with her age-level friends.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions