Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Big changes to travel rules

What's on your mind?

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 pm

No changes. Just my effort to get the maximum number of people to read this. And for the first time I'm posting drunk. (Not because the Dodgers lost - I didn't watch a pitch - couldn't care less about them).

I've known a number of people who read but don't ever post because they're afraid to. My first post on a predecessor softball site called eteamz was "What is the best bat I can get for my new to travel kid, cost is no object." We were normal folks so we were about supporting our kid and frankly we had no idea where our kid fit in. Some of the responses were along the lines of [Bart Jr. for those who were there] "Hey I've got a great bat I'll sell you for $1000." My initial reaction was to be pissed and go after them for making fun of me. But I didn't because after some time I realized it really isn't that painful to post something stupid anonymously and have someone make fun of me or call me names. I Damn sure want my kids to be stronger than that. Stupid posts will be neither part of my legacy nor my epitaph. And, as an adult I take great pride in my progression beyond that of an emotionally fragile 7 year old on a playground during recess. Because that makes a beast. Right.

Really folks, you people who take your time to read posts here can make posts that contribute to this community. The more people post the more interesting this site is to everybody, including you. Post anonymously like most. Post under multiple names as some do. How often are people outed on here? Uhh pretty much nobody. So post with impunity. Trolls are recognized as such and pointed out, not something to fear given their pathetic motivation.

We all share common experiences with softball. All of our kids have good days and bad days. At the same time we all have a little different experiences, views and opinions. None are inherently of greater value to this community than others.

I'm just trying to encourage folks to post. Personally, I prefer disagreement because that provides me with a much greater opportunity to learn than agreement. And guess what? If you have a genuine question about softball you'll likely get an informed answer. Ignore the crap you may get and benefit from the information.

And for the record I'm really not a goat fu*cker. Squirrels are another matter.

John Pappas
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sid Barrett » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Been a few years since my border skirmishes with J.R. or my all out wars with Widow..and my kid is in college now so I don't post or visit as frequently, but I always enjoy reading your posts Squirrel. Definitely good for more than just a chuckle!!

Warning to any newbee who is about to read any Squirrel post...refrain from drinking hot liquids while doing so
Sid Barrett

by jonriv » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Did. See you on the dark side of the moon
jonriv

by NumeroUno » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:43 am

BS great talking with you and glad to see a post with your name on it again.

My last two years have been crazy. I have had a AC n heating company for almost 30 years.

I getting to old for 12-16 hour days
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by dusty » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am

Blind Squirrel wrote:No changes. Just my effort to get the maximum number of people to read this. And for the first time I'm posting drunk. (Not because the Dodgers lost - I didn't watch a pitch - couldn't care less about them).

John Pappas

That was the internet equivalent of drunk dialing??? I didn't want to take up space by quoting the entire OP but it was far more lucid and coherent then most posts on any softball forum.

This was the first softball forum I ever posted on with my old account. As I recall I googled softball forums which lead me to eteamz where I never registered or posted but found out about this site there. I was an 8-10u rec coach/dad at the time who was dying to get my kids (at least the oldest) out of rec and into travel and I remember my initial posting reluctance being primarily due to the fact that if there was anything I knew less about than softball it was travel softball and all the regulars here had tons of knowledge and experience with both.

I never posted a ton but eventually retired from all softball forums around '12/13 when my oldest dd told me and dw that she didn't want to pursue college ball. Dw thought I would take it hard but I was really happy and relieved, softball had done more for her in her young life than I ever expected. She was the first decent travel pitcher her HS ever had and started as a freshmen with maybe two or three other players with any travel experience. We didn't win many games but it put her in a leadership position and the program did progress a lot in her four years.

I was beginning to prepare for life after softball and fully expected my younger dd to follow the same path as her older sister but a couple of years ago she decided she wanted to pursue college softball and is now less than a week away from NLI signing day. I'm thrilled for her but I have my share of moments where I think, "oh shit, what are we getting her into!?" This was fully her decision and it is the school she really wants to go to and fortunately an in-state public so that's how I calm myself down when the anxiety comes.

So who's still out there from the 200 or so views this thread has? Skarp? Artomatic? "Geronimo" from Lunchbag, Va? Gone in 2.6? I know Sam and a few other old timers are here but it would be great to hear from long-lost others.
dusty

by swells9232 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

I’ve been on this site for a few years, but never contributed too much. Early on I saw a lot of, “That’s already been discussed, go look at the old thread”. I did a ton of stalking and reading, which helped me. DD1 is now safely in college playing all the way across the nation, while DD2 is seriously considering colleges now and playing good enough softball to get her there. I’ve been lucky enough to learn from all the “old timers” and owe a big Thank You to all of them. I think basic questions need to be asked again, and the sages could help by explaining more and maybe give history.
swells9232

by eddiez577 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Sages :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 pm

This is rich...

I'm a 10u parent and want to know... Locatian or spead, which is better?....Hey Newbie, how dare you ask that question. Look at the old threads you imbecile and for crying out loud, learn how to spell! I am tired of reading that question even though all I have to do is not click the title.

I'm a 10u parent and would like to know when is the best time to move to travel ball....Hey newbie, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Not another stupid question. Read the other 4000 older threads on this subject. I am getting sick and tired of always hashing this out....blah b blah b blah.

....and by all means, don't let your kid play spring and fall. If you do...bad parent...bad parent...blah b blah b blah. jeeeeesh.

Now you're basically asking where everybody went and it's okay to post. That's rich.

...and now brainstorm...let's charge everybody to post.... What?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Battle wrote:This is rich...

I'm a 10u parent and want to know... Locatian or spead, which is better?....Hey Newbie, how dare you ask that question. Look at the old threads you imbecile and for crying out loud, learn how to spell! I am tired of reading that question even though all I have to do is not click the title.

I'm a 10u parent and would like to know when is the best time to move to travel ball....Hey newbie, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Not another stupid question. Read the other 4000 older threads on this subject. I am getting sick and tired of always hashing this out....blah b blah b blah.

....and by all means, don't let your kid play spring and fall. If you do...bad parent...bad parent...blah b blah b blah. jeeeeesh.

Now you're basically asking where everybody went and it's okay to post. That's rich.

...and now brainstorm...let's charge everybody to post.... What?

Battle,

Would you mind posting links to examples of what you're talking about? Specifically, as you mention, someone asking a simple question that has been posted before and being attacked in a manner consistent with what you describe. I place greater value on accuracy than I do on hyperbole when one makes an attempt to make a point.

I'm happy to engage. But you better not call me poopy pants or I'll hold my breath until you stop.

Overwhelmed Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:No changes. Just my effort to get the maximum number of people to read this. And for the first time I'm posting drunk. (Not because the Dodgers lost - I didn't watch a pitch - couldn't care less about them).

I've known a number of people who read but don't ever post because they're afraid to. My first post on a predecessor softball site called eteamz was "What is the best bat I can get for my new to travel kid, cost is no object." We were normal folks so we were about supporting our kid and frankly we had no idea where our kid fit in. Some of the responses were along the lines of [Bart Jr. for those who were there] "Hey I've got a great bat I'll sell you for $1000." My initial reaction was to be pissed and go after them for making fun of me. But I didn't because after some time I realized it really isn't that painful to post something stupid anonymously and have someone make fun of me or call me names. I Damn sure want my kids to be stronger than that. Stupid posts will be neither part of my legacy nor my epitaph. And, as an adult I take great pride in my progression beyond that of an emotionally fragile 7 year old on a playground during recess. Because that makes a beast. Right.

Really folks, you people who take your time to read posts here can make posts that contribute to this community. The more people post the more interesting this site is to everybody, including you. Post anonymously like most. Post under multiple names as some do. How often are people outed on here? Uhh pretty much nobody. So post with impunity. Trolls are recognized as such and pointed out, not something to fear given their pathetic motivation.

We all share common experiences with softball. All of our kids have good days and bad days. At the same time we all have a little different experiences, views and opinions. None are inherently of greater value to this community than others.

I'm just trying to encourage folks to post. Personally, I prefer disagreement because that provides me with a much greater opportunity to learn than agreement. And guess what? If you have a genuine question about softball you'll likely get an informed answer. Ignore the crap you may get and benefit from the information.

And for the record I'm really not a goat fu*cker. Squirrels are another matter.

John Pappas

Respect.

Especially about the posting drunk part...
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions