Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Small request: Dont name defensive schemes "Blue"

What's on your mind?

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:33 am

Twice I called time because I thought the coach was yelling for me...

So name the schemes red, curly, bill, or george.. but for godsakes, anything but blue.

thanks!

:ugeek:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by heybucket » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:47 am

What about Wade instead of blue is that good for you lol. :? :?
Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them
heybucket

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:53 am

heybucket wrote:What about Wade instead of blue is that good for you lol. :? :?

Luckily, wade is not my real name :)

So wade is cool, I probably wouldnt think anything of it unless I was sitting my but in front of a computer. :mrgreen:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:34 am

heybucket wrote:What about Wade instead of blue is that good for you lol. :? :?

Pronunciation: \ˈwād\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): wad·ed; wad·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wadan; akin to Old High German watan to go, wade, Latin vadere to go
Date: 13th century
intransitive verb
1 : to step in or through a medium (as water) offering more resistance than air
2 : to move or proceed with difficulty or labor <wade through the crowd> <wade through all the evidence>
3 : to set to work or attack with determination or vigor —used with in or into<wade into a task>
transitive verb
: to pass or cross by wading
— wad·able or wade·able \ˈwā-də-bəl\ adjective

If I heard Wade on the field I could move from position to position in the field as though moving through waist high water or if it was windy, simulate difficulty wading through the wind current or when making my calls on the field, wade into the mechanic with extraordinary effort and enthusiasm. Of course I could always ask my partner, "What are we wading for?" :)
umpinva

by umpinva » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:09 am

wadeintothem wrote:Twice I called time because I thought the coach was yelling for me...

So name the schemes red, curly, bill, or george.. but for godsakes, anything but blue.

thanks!

:ugeek:

Be careful with numbers also. Years ago a coach was chirping about some close play’s that did not go his way. The conversation went something like this:

Coach A: C’mon Blue, she was safe. That was another blown call!

Me: She was tagged before reaching the base. She’s out.

Coach A: That’s horrible, that’s two you have blown today!

Me: Knock it off Coach, she is out and I don’t want to hear three from you. Let’s play ball.

Two innings later while Coach A’s team is on defense I rotate for a close play at third and call the runner safe and there are now runners at first and third. From the dugout I hear Coach A yell “that’s terrible!” As I’m putting my mask on and stepping behind the catcher, Coach A yells “three, three, three!” I removed my mask, walked over to the dugout and tossed Coach A.

I didn’t know what all he said after that. When I eject someone, they’re dead and I don’t talk to dead people. I headed back to the plate as my partner got Coach A off the field.

Between games the Asst. Coach approaches me and the conversation went something like this:

Coach A2: Blue, you tossed Coach A for saying three.

Me: Yes, I warned him earlier that I did not want to hear “three” from him.

Coach A2: Remember the situation Blue, they now had runners at first and third, we have a play three where our shortstop comes into the diamond if the runner from first goes to second on the pitch. The catcher throws to the shortstop trying to get a run down going.

Me: I told him not to say three!

Was I wrong? Yes. Would I do it again? Absolutely! ;)

Sorry this post was so long.
umpinva

Return to Fastpitch Discussions