Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

High School Ball Mandatory?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 pm

I would think with a max of 4-5 games a week the risk of overuse in Hs is certainly less than tb with the potential of 4-5 in a single weekend?
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:13 pm

jonriv wrote:I would think with a max of 4-5 games a week the risk of overuse in Hs is certainly less than tb with the potential of 4-5 in a single weekend?

Most TB games in fall are timed games especially exposure stuff...HS games are usually 7 inning barring a run rule.....
hour 15... hour 30 vs .HS games 3 hrs +
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lunatic Fringe » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm

My DD saw both sides of the argument in her HS career.

Down side, the coach is a sadist and I believe her to be evil. In the same class as a Director of HR. She was still running punishment drills into the playoff run, very negative and the worst kind of old school. As a result the team has consistently under performed and folds when they play like talented teams. My DD hated most of the experience due to the coach and the coaches relationship with the team and I got tired of talking her out of quitting. My argument against quitting was that no prospective college coach would want to hear her sob story about why she wasn't playing HS ball; too many incorrect inferences could be made.

Up side, she was very successful for most of her HS career and put up some sick numbers at the plate, especially as a JR. My DD did a great job broadcasting those numbers in notes to colleges and I feel that those efforts by her led directly to the deal she got. I also noticed that most all of the girls were much sharper after the season due for the most part in the sheer number of reps during the season. Playing to win is nice too, especially with the grind that the exposure tournament scene produces.

A pitcher would need to consider the workload. Workload for a non pitcher should not be a problem in my opinion
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by DonnieS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm

The honor of representing your home town - is a big deal here. While I am OTS, all three of my kids wore the uniform of the high school I played for, which is pretty cool I think. And even cooler, my daughters were inducted into our high schools Hall of Fame along with my high school girls basketball state champion team, 42 years earlier. A proud moment when my girls were on the same stage with those girls.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Dugout Dad wrote:You start your post with "I", but what does she want to do? Allow her to play for her school colors, regardless of your impression of the team, the girls do have fun. A college coach will see her not being on her HS team playing as a red flag of possibly not being a team player.

I disagree with the red flag comment... College coaches if presented with a plan absolutely go along with it. This year only I know of 3 of the top 10 in the Top 100 which do not play HS ball. It is becoming more common with recruits.

Yes I agree with the experience... Have to consider life is not about HS and it shouldn't be. Their experience in College is far more valuable and if they are prepared when they get there even better.

An earlier comment made about real games being good. Again, not true. Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that. Travel ball provides plenty of games to satisfy the games played issue.
tbjd33

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:07 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:You start your post with "I", but what does she want to do? Allow her to play for her school colors, regardless of your impression of the team, the girls do have fun. A college coach will see her not being on her HS team playing as a red flag of possibly not being a team player.

I disagree with the red flag comment... College coaches if presented with a plan absolutely go along with it. This year only I know of 3 of the top 10 in the Top 100 which do not play HS ball. It is becoming more common with recruits.

Yes I agree with the experience... Have to consider life is not about HS and it shouldn't be. Their experience in College is far more valuable and if they are prepared when they get there even better.

An earlier comment made about real games being good. Again, not true. Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that. Travel ball provides plenty of games to satisfy the games played issue.

Some of your points have some merit, but quite honestly at this point your posts are starting to come off to even the more open-minded posters like myself as "I'll show them they can't mess with me" adversarial, arrogant, know-it-all fodder.

If you're not "that guy" I just thought you should know how it's being perceived so that you can stop acting like "that guy" and be taken more seriously.

If you are "that guy" then by all means...PTI and carry on.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:02 pm

tbjd33 wrote:

Experience in HS IS much more important in life than ANYTHING they learn in TB. Life IS about HS, like it or not. Life ISN"T about TB and pleasing a coach who will treat you like cattle....he selected you, he fed you, and he sold you to the highest bidder.

The equally moronic statement about bad HS ball never ceases to amaze me. Maybe HS coaches should encourage kids to quit TB because its so bad.....bad coaching....bad pitching....bad teammates......NEWSFLASH....both TB and HS have them...in equal proportions. The difference is that a kid will play around 30-40 HS games over a 9 month period (SoCal) and twice that many for her TB team 5 months.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Sam wrote:
Experience in HS IS much more important in life than ANYTHING they learn in TB. Life IS about HS, like it or not. Life ISN"T about TB and pleasing a coach who will treat you like cattle....he selected you, he fed you, and he sold you to the highest bidder.

The equally moronic statement about bad HS ball never ceases to amaze me. Maybe HS coaches should encourage kids to quit TB because its so bad.....bad coaching....bad pitching....bad teammates......NEWSFLASH....both TB and HS have them...in equal proportions. The difference is that a kid will play around 30-40 HS games over a 9 month period (SoCal) and twice that many for her TB team 5 months.

Based on your experience?...Thank goodness...We can only hope we do as good and as successful with our kids as you did yours...wu...wait a minute...NEWSFLASH...scratch that :|

You have NO idea what other parts of the Country have in the way of HS ball...
But thanks to to Gods gift to softball and Centurion of Safety...Sam...Image
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:06 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

Some of your points have some merit, but quite honestly at this point your posts are starting to come off to even the more open-minded posters like myself as "I'll show them they can't mess with me" adversarial, arrogant, know-it-all fodder.

If you're not "that guy" I just thought you should know how it's being perceived so that you can stop acting like "that guy" and be taken more seriously.

I could care less how I'm perceived or come off. It's simply a point if view... I don't speak for anyone else nor do I try.

Fact is MANY verbals choose not to play high school. Since it's inappropriate to name names I won't. But they are growing in number. Especially here in So Cal.

End of the day every on does the best for themselves. The topic is about highschool softball and is it necessary. Simply stated it isn't. I'm glad most of your DD's had an excellent HS career. That's great but two years after high school no one remembers and if your DD is still around so they do... Well that another issue.

So attempt to chastise me for having an opinion other than yours ( everyone!!). End the day things change and time goes on. Not my opinion just a fact of life...
tbjd33

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:28 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

I could care less how I'm perceived or come off. It's simply a point if view... I don't speak for anyone else nor do I try.

Fact is MANY verbals choose not to play high school. Since it's inappropriate to name names I won't. But they are growing in number. Especially here in So Cal.

End of the day every on does the best for themselves. The topic is about highschool softball and is it necessary. Simply stated it isn't. I'm glad most of your DD's had an excellent HS career. That's great but two years after high school no one remembers and if your DD is still around so they do... Well that another issue.

So attempt to chastise me for having an opinion other than yours ( everyone!!). End the day things change and time goes on. Not my opinion just a fact of life...

"I don't speak for anyone else nor do I try."

Sure seems like you were speaking for all the so called "good" coaches when you stated:

"Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that."

Like I said...carry on.
Last edited by fastpitchdad05 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions