Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Chatter?

What's on your mind?

by Coach_Gonzalez » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:43 pm

its not no fun allowed. I hate when teams memorize all of these dumb cheers when there is a game to be played. Why cant fun be sinking into a game that can be so mental. There is so much to do and pay attention to. I am a catcher so I may see things different, but "no fun" would be an extreme way of putting it. If you need the cheers, then you do not understand and live and breath the game.
Coach_Gonzalez

by 3Bsnag » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Your post made me laugh! Aren't you the 22yr old kid turned coach?

Let me give you some advice. You are now dealing with softball GIRLS. They do take the game seriously or wouldn't spend 5-7 days a week on practice, lessons, tee work, cages, etc. Just because they don't act like YOU think they should and they chant and giggle from time to time, doesn't mean that don't love this sport. These girls aren't hanging at the mall with their friends, at the movies with their boyfriends, or even have time for school dances. As long as it's uplifiting, deal with it and love them for it. You just may end up singing "That ball was screaming, that ball said hurt me, hurt me" on the way home from practice one day.
3Bsnag

by Skarp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Hate to say it, but my boys play baseball, and watching it is just plain boring in comparison to watching the girls play. A big part of the reason, I think, is the energy and enthusiasm that the girls exhibit when they play. In baseball, other than the parents and coaches screaming at the kids, it's basically a morgue out there.

A coach trying to turn softball into baseball is making a big mistake--he'll drive those kids away from the sport.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach_Gonzalez » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 pm

well I would like to say that im not a new turned coach. I have been instructing in hitting and catching for 4 years now, and I have been coaching for 5-4 years of which include 3 softball teams and 2 baseball teams, so no I am not "new." If you want to play travel ball, then yes you should give up some life to do it. Travel is way too watered down. I used to practice on my own 5 days a week for at least 2 hours just so I didnt fall behind in my 2 day a week travel ball practice, and we ranked 7 in the nation with metal bats and 5 in the nation with wood bats. I know what I am talking about. Cheering is not part of the game, rooting on your team and knowing the game is the game, and if you dont think so, you are below it and show no love for it.
Coach_Gonzalez

by jofus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Girls and boys are different.

I remember a quote from Marc Dagenais, something to the effect of..

"Boys have to play good in order to feel good. Girls have to feel good in order to play good."

The Cheering is one thing that attracted my DD to softball a few years ago. The love of the game is what is keeping her playing.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Demonboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Coach_Gonzalez wrote:its not no fun allowed. I hate when teams memorize all of these dumb cheers when there is a game to be played. Why cant fun be sinking into a game that can be so mental. There is so much to do and pay attention to. I am a catcher so I may see things different, but "no fun" would be an extreme way of putting it. If you need the cheers, then you do not understand and live and breath the game.

Oh yeah, that's not a no fun attitude. What was I thinking?

Coach_Gonzalez wrote:well I would like to say that im not a new turned coach. I have been instructing in hitting and catching for 4 years now, and I have been coaching for 5-4 years of which include 3 softball teams and 2 baseball teams, so no I am not "new." If you want to play travel ball, then yes you should give up some life to do it. Travel is way too watered down. I used to practice on my own 5 days a week for at least 2 hours just so I didnt fall behind in my 2 day a week travel ball practice, and we ranked 7 in the nation with metal bats and 5 in the nation with wood bats. I know what I am talking about. Cheering is not part of the game, rooting on your team and knowing the game is the game, and if you dont think so, you are below it and show no love for it.

I guess programs like Texas A&M and UT don't know the game. But heck who are they? I mean after all, you've been coaching for 5 years!

Coach_Gonzalez wrote:well I would like to say that im not a new turned coach. I have been instructing in hitting and catching for 4 years now, and I have been coaching for 5-4 years of which include 3 softball teams and 2 baseball teams, so no I am not "new." If you want to play travel ball, then yes you should give up some life to do it. Travel is way too watered down. I used to practice on my own 5 days a week for at least 2 hours just so I didnt fall behind in my 2 day a week travel ball practice, and we ranked 7 in the nation with metal bats and 5 in the nation with wood bats. I know what I am talking about. Cheering is not part of the game, rooting on your team and knowing the game is the game, and if you dont think so, you are below it and show no love for it.

What does that even MEAN?
Last edited by Demonboy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Skarp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:50 pm

I stand corrected. I hadn't realized that you took 7th in the nation with metal bats. Of course your opinion about what constitutes the game, and requisite love for it, is definitive. I had no business even posting there. My apologies.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach_Gonzalez » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Sarcasm is accepted but cheers in college are not cheers in 10u or 12u ball. Two-sies, cheering on a big situation, or getting into a game through a team cheer in D1 ball is not the same as what these kids are doing. Its a nuissance and hold no importance to the game. I would rather have my girls use cheers that actually mean something other than "free ticket, we'll take it" and "cmon DD take a bow, like a lady now." If thats what makes your daughters and yourselves love the game, then you need to step on a field and see what its about. And neither baseball or softball is "boring" to watch. It is draining if anything because of the thought process that goes into it and explosive mindset and motion. Figure it out people, if you want to play "little league softball" have fun...my girls play travel, and have a lot of fun outworking and out playing other girls while they enjoy their cheers.
Coach_Gonzalez

by 3Bsnag » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Coach G, you're not going to win this one on this board. Baseball board maybe.

I'm not making fun of you, but a lot of this is your age and personality. Good for you for trying to help others grow in a sport we all love. We all probably have that one cheer that grates on our nerves, but for the most part, that's what gets the girls fired up. The cheers you are describing do sound kinda young though. I'm guessing 10's or young 12's? Instead of trying to adapt them to your seriousness, lighten up and adapt to theirs. You'll probably find them more responsive.

BTW, I've played ball for the past 19 years and still do today. My husband was selected All-Marine (yes that's USMC baby) when he was 20 and still plays today. That made you uhhhh, 2 at the time. We kinda now what we're talking about.

Also, wanted to warn you- there is a lot of seasoned people on this board including parents of top prospects, D1 scholarships, and Gold ball studs. Your resume isn't going to impress here.
3Bsnag

by Coach_Gonzalez » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Im not trying to impress anyone. That is for sure, and I have no reason too. I care about the game and the integrity of it. I have given a lot for this game in a little bit of time, and I will take criticism if anyone wants to give it, but you dont get that I am not trying to rid of cheering, I am against the immature nature of child-like cheers. If you people cant handle a different point-of-view thats fine. I just know that I lived and breathed the game, and I don't want my girls to be associated with short shorts and immature cheers. I want them to be ladies, act like them, and have fun playing the game as it should be. I know cheering is a part of it, but, like I said, does it need to be so immature and non-applicable to the value of the game.
Coach_Gonzalez

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions