Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Does your state allow 7-8th graders to play varsity SB ?

What's on your mind?

by ManitouDan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:18 am

I grew up in Ky and they have always allowed 7-8th graders to participate in any/all sports (maybe not football? ) that the adminstration/coaches deemed appriopriate. This even includes boys (OJ Mayo started varsity in the 7th grade , maybe 6th ?) .I see several Ky 8th graders playing jv-varsity BB every year , not just the super athelet like OJ. Now I'm Ohio and their rules are extremely strict. Example: 7 total football games each year for 7-8th graders. And no 7-8th graders can play in any varsity sport , girls or boys.

The reason this rule should have some flexibility added is that the smallest schools struggle with numbers. My kid will be attending a very small private school. At their 1st tryout they had 9-10 girls come out . I was told they had to persuade some girls who had never played (even rec ball) to come out for the team. But the 7-8th grade have a few girls who have played travel ball and could play circles around the newbies on the HS team. So does your state allow Jr high girls to play JV or varsity ? MD
ManitouDan

by Sam » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:35 am

Spazsdad wrote:SoCal no

However....SoCal does allow people with 7th-8th grade knowledge and education to coach HS teams...
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:44 am

>> However....SoCal does allow people with 7th-8th grade knowledge and education to coach HS teams... <<

Texas - No
Last edited by DonnieS on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lefty's Dad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:01 am

Clarification on Texas. 8th graders CAN play Varsity HS ball but if they do so, they give up one year of H.S. eligibility (UIL rules) in the process which is why it is rarely done. They can however play in any non UIL sanction events such as a Fall High School league where the HS coach cannot be a part of. We have seen that in a few cases down south.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by coolstuff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 am

No players that I know of in Indiana. I think you need to be enrolled in the HS. Lots of issues could pop up in other sports if this was allowed to happen. We already have the occasional "recruiting" flap in the boys' sports. For instance, what if a kid in a public MS plans on attending a local private HS, so he/she plays JV at the private school as an 8th grader? Oh man I can see the headlines now.

HS coaches in any sport are usually on staff at the HS as teachers or administrators, especially in the "major" sports like football and boys' basketball, but I'm pretty certain that's not a requirement.
coolstuff

by slim00 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:05 am

Tennessee no, Mississippi yes.

EDITED

As stated below, it is possible in Tennessee. I should have said generally no. There are usually enough restrictions and hoops to jump through that it is very rarely/seldom done.
Last edited by slim00 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
slim00

by TN_BUCKETDAD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:38 am

slim00 wrote:Tennessee no, Mississippi yes.

Not necessarily so for Tennessee. In Tennessee a player has 5 years of elgibility, but there are rules in place that prevent alot from being able to play their 8th grade year. Most DII (private) schools meet the standards set forth by the TSSAA.
TN_BUCKETDAD

by DonnieS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:40 am

>> Clarification on Texas. 8th graders CAN play Varsity HS ball but if they do so, they give up one year of H.S. eligibility (UIL <<

Didnt know that but I guess it makes sense. Lots of kids here never get past the 8th grade.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jofus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 am

I don't think so in WV, for the most part (other than "maybe" some of the private schools...which don't recruit by the way :roll: ) middle school is separate from high school, so the 7th and 8th graders aren't even at the same school. That's probably not the reason, but I don't think they can.

I would rather get my DD on a good travel team than let her play HS early, anyway :)
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Kat » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 pm

For the most part in Washington state no...but small schools have an exception mainly private ones if htey are under a certain amount of kids they can pull up younger kids. We have 4 years of eligibility at high school here,not sure how the smaller schools deals with that to be honest.
Kat

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions