Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

coaching mistake? yelling at umpire

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 am

we have seen it, the coach who simply cannot communicate with-in reason to an umpire. The coach who explodes and yells at the umpire. even if they have a good point to make they have disrespected the person whose opinion can affect the game. now the umpire knows the coach is a jerk and doesn't have respect for umpire's role.
Result is some umpires future decisions start affecting the game. Is this a real thing?
IMO the reaction is an element of personalities. once a coach has pissed off other certain types of people/umpires....the battle for who is in control starts...the umpire will win this battle on close calls in the future. Not everytime, not every umpire perhaps, Do you believe it happens?
Have you seen this? what do you think about abrasive attitude toward the umpire, could it hurt the team?
Hinky

by E Train Dad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 pm

I'm going to state the obvious that exploding on an ump is never going to work in your favor, especially if there are two Umps working the game, they will always cover eachothers backs! Know that going into the battle! Handling the situation with respect and calmness is always the best way to get a result IMO! Ask for a second review from the other ump vs argue! I'd like to hear UmpSteve's take on this and give his perspective as I'm guessing he has been presented with this situation many times! I think there is also a perspective of the age group, as the level of play and umpireing is very different at each age group!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Dont do it quickest way to have the strike zone shrink for your pitcher!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am

Yep..
Crappy people, Crappy results!
Hinky

by Battle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am

Spazsdad wrote:Crappy umps are part of the game just like crappy coaches and crappy parents and even crappy players.
Having said that some should not be out there just because of their thin skin. Not saying umps should sit there and take piles of abuse but some guys have such a tight sphincter it makes things not fun. When you threaten ejection after a coach says” aw come on Blue” that’s a problem.
I had a guy go off on me and threw out “ I’m a Veterean” like that absolves him from being substandard

That is very true. I seen an ump call time and tell the coach to tell the pitcher to quit giving her mean looks. :lol:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jonriv » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 am

Battle wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Crappy umps are part of the game just like crappy coaches and crappy parents and even crappy players.
Having said that some should not be out there just because of their thin skin. Not saying umps should sit there and take piles of abuse but some guys have such a tight sphincter it makes things not fun. When you threaten ejection after a coach says” aw come on Blue” that’s a problem.
I had a guy go off on me and threw out “ I’m a Veterean” like that absolves him from being substandard

That is very true. I seen an ump call time and tell the coach to tell the pitcher to quit giving her mean looks. :lol:

Good thing my daughter never had that ump :D

She had a "mean" look worse that my Wife's
jonriv

by Sam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Depends on what your ultimate goal may be: trying to get a call changed or trying to get thrown out.

If you explode, your chances of getting tossed increase exponentially and you will never get a call reconsidered. I have also gone out there with a goal of being tossed in order to make a point or motivate my team (which has never worked, by the way).

If you want a call reconsidered: a) speak to the umpire that made the call, b) be calm and respectful, and c) thank the umpire for listening to you. You watch the game with your heart and they watch it with their eyes.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Sam wrote:Depends on what your ultimate goal may be: trying to get a call changed or trying to get thrown out.

If you explode, your chances of getting tossed increase exponentially and you will never get a call reconsidered. I have also gone out there with a goal of being tossed in order to make a point or motivate my team (which has never worked, by the way).

If you want a call reconsidered: a) speak to the umpire that made the call, b) be calm and respectful, and c) thank the umpire for listening to you. You watch the game with your heart and they watch it with their eyes.

... And sometimes you need to change the channel so you can watch the same game they are ;)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by DonnieS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:48 am

Been away from the game for a while and some of the blues that had to put up with me, are some of my good friends. That being said, I am not sure I ever yelled at a blue while I was a coach. In the stands, different story. Most of them were very good, one in particular was pathetic, but he was 'protected' so nothing could be done, dealt with him from 10u up through college ball. Because of his 'protected' state, he just kept getting transferred.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:14 am

DonnieS wrote:Been away from the game for a while and some of the blues that had to put up with me, are some of my good friends. That being said, I am not sure I ever yelled at a blue while I was a coach. In the stands, different story. Most of them were very good, one in particular was pathetic, but he was 'protected' so nothing could be done, dealt with him from 10u up through college ball. Because of his 'protected' state, he just kept getting transferred.

I was not nearly as fortunate as you and had more than a few pathetic Umpires ... I am also sure that I did lose my temper on several occasions and raised my voice to a volume that was unsuccessful in benefiting my cause ... That being said; I have NEVER been ejected from a game ... One time in an extremely heated discussion with an Umpire he turned his back on me, my assistant came over to save me by pulling me away ... As the Umpire finally reached last strawdom, he spun back around and accidentally threw out my assistant instead of me ... :lol: ... Other than that, in HS ball I was restricted to the dugout on a couple occasions ... Not for yelling, mostly for being sarcastic or citing rules with book in hand.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to Fastpitch Discussions