Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Olympic exposure how?

What's on your mind?

by Tntcoachtom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am

You don't seem to get it do you?!?!?! There is no Olympic exposure venue per se. It's the Wcws, it's college play, it's the pro game, it's major tourneys. It's word of mouth. hellooooooooo.....

I disagree with the statement that there are no Olympic exposure venues. I've listed 2 myself. The USA Elite Select30 camp is one of them. And even though there is an open aspect (a Futures tryout) you don't attend S30 without an invite.
Right off of the USA Elite Select site
The Select 30 National Camp will utilize both an invitation and open process.

Automatic Invitees
2016 1st Team All Americans
2017 Flo Softball Hot 100 athletes
2017 Futures All American Direct Selects
2017 Futures All American Tryouts
Coach Nominations (own players & opposing players)
Event Director Nominations

And an invite doesn't happen unless you perform well in the right venue.
Also n that same site
Select 30 All American Camp Experience includes:

* Admission to National Pro Fastpitch Championship Games
* Exclusive interaction and access to college and NPF players
* Player interviews and media training
* Friday/Saturday: Player evaluations and combine testing conducted by All American Scouting Network and NPF athletes on Friday and Saturday. Players will go through position-specific drills and will be tested on various metrics in fielding, hitting, pitching, throwing, and athleticism. 
* Sunday: Select 30 All American Games. Following the two training sessions and evaluations, the Scout Team will select the Top 30 players to represent each grad class.  This Select 30 will play two 7-inning games on Sunday morning coached by attending college and/or professional players.
* Select 30 All American Team Selection: The announcement of final First and Second Team All Americans will be announced following the Games via selection show.
Field Location:
TBD (NPF Championship Series Host Site) 
AASN EVALUATION PROCESS:
For the evaluation process, scouts from the AASN alongside NPF players, will make selections based on the athletes performance from the weekend event. According to AASN, evaluation standards are met through the overall performance from athletic testing, defensive testing, offensive testing and pitcher bullpens.
* Athletic testing is used in order to measure agility, speed, explosiveness, control of the body while changing direction and quickness.
* Defensive testing allows scouts to measure arm strength, accuracy, footwork and overall defensive skill sets based on athletes’ primary positions.
* Offensive testing allows scouts to evaluate athletes’ bat speed, swing mechanics, and hitting fundamentals off front toss and live BP.
* Pitchers’ bullpens allow scouts to measure velocity, movement, and control or ability to hit spots.
* Bullpens also allow evaluation of catchers on framing, blocking skills, the ability to set up on pitches thrown, and overall athleticism.
* During the live BP session, scouts are able to determine how girls play against each other and determine the Select 30 through the testing of each participant and how well they did on Saturday's session.

The other is the Softball Factory national tryout. Even though Factory promises to hand your name to the Jr National team I'm sure that won't mean anything if you don't excell.
This is right off of the Factory site
USA JUNIOR NATIONAL TEAM IDENTIFICATION
All players from the event will be submitted to the ASA/USA Junior National Team selection committee for future consideration. The ASA/USA selection committee will monitor all Softball Factory players and their development as they create their roster for the National Team. Softball Factory is a Scouting Partner for ASA.

To view the 2015 USA Junior National Team selections, click here.

Yes you are right it's Wcws, it's college play, it's the pro game, it's major tourneys. It's word of mouth. But there are other venues that will reward talent and at the least promise Olympic exposure. When it comes down to it though nothing beats hard work and talent guided by great coaching.
Tntcoachtom

by jonriv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Tntcoachtom wrote:
You don't seem to get it do you?!?!?! There is no Olympic exposure venue per se. It's the Wcws, it's college play, it's the pro game, it's major tourneys. It's word of mouth. hellooooooooo.....

I disagree with the statement that there are no Olympic exposure venues. I've listed 2 myself. The USA Elite Select30 camp is one of them. And even though there is an open aspect (a Futures tryout) you don't attend S30 without an invite.

Automatic Invitees

Also n that same site

* Friday/Saturday: Player evaluations and combine testing conducted by All American Scouting Network and NPF athletes on Friday and Saturday. Players will go through position-specific drills and will be tested on various metrics in fielding, hitting, pitching, throwing, and athleticism. 
* Sunday: Select 30 All American Games. Following the two training sessions and evaluations, the Scout Team will select the Top 30 players to represent each grad class.  This Select 30 will play two 7-inning games on Sunday morning coached by attending college and/or professional players.
* Select 30 All American Team Selection: The announcement of final First and Second Team All Americans will be announced following the Games via selection show.
Field Location:
AASN EVALUATION PROCESS:
For the evaluation process, scouts from the AASN alongside NPF players, will make selections based on the athletes performance from the weekend event. According to AASN, evaluation standards are met through the overall performance from athletic testing, defensive testing, offensive testing and pitcher bullpens.
* Athletic testing is used in order to measure agility, speed, explosiveness, control of the body while changing direction and quickness.
* Defensive testing allows scouts to measure arm strength, accuracy, footwork and overall defensive skill sets based on athletes’ primary positions.
* Offensive testing allows scouts to evaluate athletes’ bat speed, swing mechanics, and hitting fundamentals off front toss and live BP.
* Pitchers’ bullpens allow scouts to measure velocity, movement, and control or ability to hit spots.
* Bullpens also allow evaluation of catchers on framing, blocking skills, the ability to set up on pitches thrown, and overall athleticism.
* During the live BP session, scouts are able to determine how girls play against each other and determine the Select 30 through the testing of each participant and how well they did on Saturday's session.

The other is the Softball Factory national tryout. Even though Factory promises to hand your name to the Jr National team I'm sure that won't mean anything if you don't excell.
All players from the event will be submitted to the ASA/USA Junior National Team selection committee for future consideration. The ASA/USA selection committee will monitor all Softball Factory players and their development as they create their roster for the National Team. Softball Factory is a Scouting Partner for ASA.

Yes you are right it's Wcws, it's college play, it's the pro game, it's major tourneys. It's word of mouth. But there are other venues that will reward talent and at the least promise Olympic exposure. When it comes down to it though nothing beats hard work and talent guided by great coaching.

Which previous olympians were produced by thes camps?

"A fool and their money are soon separated"
jonriv

by jmo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Tntcoachtom wrote:

Automatic Invitees

Also n that same site

Field Location:
AASN EVALUATION PROCESS:

USA Elite Select 30 is run by USSSA. It has nothing to do with the selection for USA National Teams. Now there is talent there that is very good and could make it but I guess you could also include the PGF High School All American Game where 7 seniors from that game alone made the USA Junior National Team this past January. 19 of the 24 players selected to this years USA Junior National Team played PGF Nationals this past summer. It is the level that you play at that gets you noticed the most.

Softball Factory makes you eligible for consideration for the USA Womens Junior National Team but overall, it is usually their college coach that has influence on the selection process for tryouts that has the most success.

As for the USA Womens National Team, it is all about how you do in college. Getting into the USA Selection pools opens up opportunities down the road.

Otherwise, most camps have nothing to do with selection and are just money makers. Even the Softball Factory is all about the money. Even the tryouts for the Junior National Team is a big money maker. They had over 225 players pay this year to tryout out - only about 175 players showed up to the tryouts where they got 5 balls hit to them, 4-5 bunts and 8 swings off a pitching machine. Not really much of a tryout - just a lot of standing around.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks jmo for sharing. I can't think of another poster more familiar or knowledgeable about this topic - and many other subjects too. I just wish you had done it before I spent so much time on the following...

Note: Quite a few players advanced to the selection camp from the tryout and some made the team, so I think jmo's point is other factors (e.g. past accomplishments) were more important than the few reps they performed.

Tntcoachtom wrote:So I take it the two venues that I found are the only ones out there.
What I've seen so far is the USA Select30 camp http://usaeliteselect.com/usaes/select30. And In response to what Umpsteve said about Softball Factory their National Tryout may be worth considering. http://www.softballfactory.com/tryouts/

No, while these may provide some exposure, neither provides the Olympic exposure you seek. I know Softball Factory was launched by Baseball Factory and it appears that Select 30 camp is also an expansion from a baseball org. USAES had their inaugural events last year, so there's no way it is a proven vehicle. Softball Factory was replaced by USA Softball's own JO Cup - http://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball/play-usa-softball/youth/usa-junior-olympic-cup. Making USA Softball's Junior Women's National Team is the first real milestone and the overwhelming majority of players on recent ones played in PGF Nationals rather than JO Cup or ASA Gold Nats before that, so take JO Cup's claims with a grain of salt.

You are right. There has been some good advice regarding the first question. But I have seen very little info on the very direct and specific follow up question about showcases and other events. They are out there. I proved that with these two links. Maybe you don't agree with the use of camps and showcases. But that wasn't the question. I stopped asking the vague question about process on page one. So please let's move on. I'm only asking about venues that other more experienced coaches and dads might know about. If the two that I mentioned are the only ones around. So be it.

OnDeck Softball had the best track record and reputation for identifying elite players from the multitude of very good players and consequently had very high demand from players to be evaluated by them. They initially met this demand and expanded their reach by adding jamborees and tryouts, however it seems they've gone beyond that to licensing camps to administer their measurements (ODM). As with all these businesses, read their literature with a discerning eye and determine what each product is really providing - https://ondecksoftball.net/.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tntcoachtom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Thank you PDad and jmo. Great answers. I really appreciate it.
Tntcoachtom

by as the world turns » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 pm

I am a bit curious, it has been a couple of weeks now, with all that great advice - any olympic offers yet?
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 pm

as the world turns wrote:I am a bit curious, it has been a couple of weeks now, with all that great advice - any olympic offers yet?

Ever the curmudgeon.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:13 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
as the world turns wrote:I am a bit curious, it has been a couple of weeks now, with all that great advice - any olympic offers yet?

Ever the curmudgeon.

TY, my little sandwich artisan
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions