Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Enquist on early commits

What's on your mind?

by Lone Staarr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:54 am

Great insight on all things considered. Love the info...

I vote for "soft" verbals...
Lone Staarr

by Pale Rider » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:01 am

Lone Staarr wrote:Great insight on all things considered. Love the info...

I vote for "soft" verbals...

All verbals are soft...either party can, will and has backed out.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:13 am

All verbals are non-binding. A "soft verbal" is like "going steady" and a "hard verbal" is being engaged.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lone Staarr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:04 pm

Right Pale, what I want to get at is some colleges give athletes a certain time to "verbal" to them(2-3 months)? Where I think the soft verbal should stay that way until their senior year when they have to sign their NLOI?

Most all soft verbals become commits, "hard" verbals currently?

Basically don't force athletes to "soft" verbal until they have to become "hard" verbals. Or let them have multiple soft verbals until they have to sign NLOI?

How does football do it?
Lone Staarr

by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:47 am

Lone Staarr wrote:Right Pale, what I want to get at is some colleges give athletes a certain time to "verbal" to them(2-3 months)? Where I think the soft verbal should stay that way until their senior year when they have to sign their NLOI?

Most all soft verbals become commits, "hard" verbals currently?

Basically don't force athletes to "soft" verbal until they have to become "hard" verbals. Or let them have multiple soft verbals until they have to sign NLOI?

How does football do it?

Football has 85 FULL rides cannot compare that to softball
A verbal is simply that, a verbal, nothing is binding but some coaches go by an unwritten rule of not contacting somebody elses verbals...some of which are legit, some of which are to simply supposedly take a kid off the market, some are buddy-buddy deals to ensure the flow of money to an organization...orgs that get commits make a LOT of money off them by proxy.
Best thing to do is no one honor 'verbals' period and go by the in place rule on Jr year stuff.

They dont mean anything besides a very loose agreement
Football *&^%$ sure doesn't honor verbals...or even NLI's actually
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:08 am

Football is also an all or none sport when it comes to D1 scholarships. Full ride or no ride where as softball is an equivalency sport that allows a coach to break up scholarships.

Been doing the recruiting thing a long time and it does not shock me what Sue said in the video. Figure 1/2 of the team is usually on a partial athletic scholarship if not more. But it could be partial but varying year to year i.e. 50% 1st, 70% 2nd, 80% 3rd and full 4th. So 1 scholarship can go to 3 players in whatever increments the coach sees is necessary to meet their recruiting needs. My guess is for most schools you have, athletically, 4-5 fulls (hello pitchers and SS studs), 13 partials (even a 90% is a partial before anyone gets all pissy) and 3-4 preferred walk ons (you get benefits of being on team but no $$). Of course this is assuming they are fully funded which I am guessing 40-50% of the D1 schools are not (that may be high but I bet not by much).

Just my 2 cents
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 am

Nothing like committing early to a state school and being "encouraged" to choose a PE degree or "studies" degree in order to play softball. But hey, someone has to offer the next generation of softball players lessons at the local parks and backyards.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:13 am

as the world turns wrote:Nothing like committing early to a state school and being "encouraged" to choose a PE degree or "studies" degree in order to play softball. But hey, someone has to offer the next generation of softball players lessons at the local parks and backyards.

BS in human studies? :lol:
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tnkrbell13 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Most interesting is that this video is on the website that makes money on promoting the hot 100 list of 8th graders. It's blasted on my Facebook page every day!
tnkrbell13
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions